Something I would like to share about me

My photo
Burdwan,Howrah, Kolkata, West Bengal, India
I like to envy because without envy you will not be able to improve yourself. I respect my friends a lot and their abilities acts as a source of inspiration for me. Someone told: ' Wiseman learns from others mistakes' My modification: ' Wiseman learns quickly and from any mistake he sees ' My ambition in life: I hope not to hurt anyone, because thats the last thing i want to do in life, hopefully if I pass by someone whom I know he/she sees me and remembers a good impression about me always.

Monday, August 22, 2011

An IEEE paper to round off my college achievements

For a guy like me, after entering into my department(3rd semester), an IEEE paper was a distant dream. Doing some research work , requires support from your friends, the thirst for finding something new and obviously proper knowledge of the subject. Unfortunately, I have none of these qualities but somehow i managed to have a IEEE paper under my belt to round off my college achievements which , to me , is very close to my heart.
I still remember the day when i first heard a lecture from our current VC, and he was very impressed to hear that a couple of students from our batch published some work in IEEE only in 3rd semester. To be fair, you wont believe that I never knew what IEEE was at that time. Anyways, being an ordinary student and having very little knowledge of my subject did not help either. But gradually I gathered some interest in what I read, and this helped me to focus in whatever I do further. It was during 7th semester that we had to submit our nominations for our final year project. I was very popular among my friends but I wanted to do something different and as a matter of fact, I still believe that my project partners Arnab and Anirudha were the most creative and one of the most talented in my class. Though they were always casual about what they do, I somehow felt we could work as a team and achieve something special.
We wanted to work under one of the most coveted personalities I have ever seen in my life, Prof Biswas. But the topic he proposed was an unsolvable problem since 1914. With very little confidence and no eagerness to achieve, We went to Prof Roy for an easy project. I was one of his favorite student and he explained us the concept of his proposed topic which we liked very much. But to our disbelief and average luck, we got the same topic under Prof Giri. With little idea, we started our work. Arnab was an out of the world thinker, and I was more of a serious logical guy. Slowly Anirudha became less interested because of the boring-ness of our topic. Oh btw, our subject was nowhere closer to our departmental studies- VLSI !!! But what was good, was the amount of scope of new work in these area, where people are finding out ideas all the time and publishing their work. With Arnab wanting to go for GRE, and me into CAT, We needed a publication to prove our worth. Campus interviews, semester exams didnot help us but our initial proposal was strong and we somehow crossed the 7th semester viva with the little work we did. To be fair, We did nothing better than the existing work but somehow to our professors we proved our achievements in an exaggerated way. It did work and we got good marks, but our guide eventually caught us and gave us the most important suggestion- If u want to publish any work u must be innovative and better.It changed our way of thinking and we started to think differently. Arnab came up again with a brilliant and weird idea but it was feasible and the best solution in our field till now. we took the approval and with zero knowledge of publication, we were suddenly asked by our professor to write the paper. I still remember the day, when our professor gave us the green light, and after coming out from his room, we were jumping with joy, as if we got the World Cup :P. I started writing the paper, with Arnab working more on the details and the algorithm. After many rejects, finally our first paper was sent to a conference in Korea. The result was dismal, with all 5 reviewers rejecting the concept and complaining about the grammar. with the help of our teachers, we had to change several aspects of our paper, and resubmitted again in 4 other conferences. The results were coming out recently with maximum rejects in most of them. Then came the day, when I opened my mail and to my surprise I found a invitation from one of the conferences where our paper was sent for a review. I was shocked, I did not know the rules. I could not understand whether our paper was accepted. Arnab called me that evening and the first thing he said me on phone was-"CONGRATS BUDDY !" I was checking with him, as I still could not believe it. I came back home and found the mail of acceptance.
People who will read this post might be feeling either of the following 2 things- Why the hell is Subhro so excited about such a small thing? Or What is the significance of writing this crap?
For a guy like me, yes its special. I was creating a CV recently in my Company's format and the only thing I can mention in that is this achievement-not the ones that I have done all through my college life. This is important to me. Secondly it has taught me several things in my life. Thinking differently is a quality that separates you from the rest, and if you remain patient with your failures, you can be assured of success one day or the other. I have been lucky enough to do a lot of things in my college but this is the most special one to me. Thats why, I have spent my last 30 minutes writing this incident in such a crap English. Thanks for bearing with my English and Happy Blogging :D :D

No comments: